Travelling with a newborn can be both exciting as well as an overwhelming thought. You just welcomed home a baby and you can’t wait to explore the world together with your little one. Sometimes, new parents also need to travel with their newborn to see the extended family or family friends. Whatever be the reason, where there is a will, there is a way. Equipped with the right information and all the essential things, travelling with a newborn can be easier than you might imagine. Whether you are travelling by car, train or plane, there are some newborn essentials that you must always carry with you for a comfortable, enjoyable and effortless journey. We did a deep dive into baby essentials’ checklist for travels with your newborn. Take a look!
Let’s talk about diapering!
No matter how or where you are travelling, one of the first things you will need to prepare for is diapering. Getting the right diapers for your newborn will not only keep your baby dry and comfortable, but also prevent cold and sniffles, owing to wet nappies. The right kind of diapers also help prevent bum rashes, which can irritate your baby and make him/her uncomfortable. However, when thinking about diapering, there are some other essentials that you will need as well so here’s a complete checklist:
- Diapers: Choose absorbent and comfortable fit newborn diapers for your baby, as they fit well around the baby’s waist and ensure zero leakage. Special diapers for newborns such as those by MamyPoko also have the navel care shape that protects the umbilical stump of your baby. These tape style and pant style diapers are designed for newborns and keep them dry and comfy at all times!
- Baby wipes: You will also need alcohol-free and baby-safe wipes that can effectively clean the baby’s bum while keeping it soft, supple and moisturised.
- Diaper bag: A waterproof diaper bag is a good idea as it will keep all your diapering essentials dry and ready to be used as and when needed.
- Extra clothes: While you will carry baby clothes separately, it is a good idea to keep an extra set of clothes in the diaper bag.
- Hand sanitizer and hand wipes: As your baby is still in the newborn stage, always disinfect your hands before and after taking care of all your baby’s needs.
- Changing pad: You may not always get a proper surface for baby’s diaper time so a changing pad is a must-have in the diaper bag.
Baby gear and toys
No matter where you are travelling, you will always need a few essentials to keep your baby safe and happy. Baby gear can help you make your baby comfortable and also keep the little one safe. And since your baby is still in the newborn days, some comfort items like favourite toys from home can help keep them calm and soothed during the journey.
- Car seat: Even if you are travelling by other modes of transport, you might end up taking a car elsewhere. It’s always a good idea to carry a car seat that helps keep the baby safe and comfortable. For efficiency purposes, you can get a foldable car seat that is easy to carry.
- Baby carrier: While some parents like baby wearing, others may find it easier to hold the baby in a baby carrier. Especially while you are travelling, you would need to keep your hands free for luggage and other things, so a baby carrier is always a good idea.
- Any other baby gear: Depending on your baby’s age and needs, you may choose to carry other baby gear like a baby stroller or baby rocker.
- Baby’s favourite toys: As longer journeys can sometimes be unsettling or strenuous for your newborn, it’s a good idea to carry some of their favourite toys or blankets so they stay comfortable and calm.
- Baby’s pacifier: If your baby uses one, carry a few pacifiers too. As you may not get a chance to wash and sterilise them if the baby drops them, always carry a few extra in your bag.
- Play mat and sheets: If your baby likes to be on a playmat, make sure to carry one along with a few extra sheets and blankets.
- White noise machine and baby monitor: For your baby’s sleep time, it’s a good practice to carry a white noise machine and a baby monitor. As your baby can take some time to settle down, the white noise can help him/her sleep more easily and you can use the baby monitor to always keep an eye on the little one.
Baby’s meal time essentials
As your baby is in the newborn stage, you may choose to exclusively breastfeed him. However, there are still some essentials that you will need for this time.
- Bibs, nursing cloth and extra clothes: At this stage, your newborn also has a tendency to burp out milk at regular intervals so remember to carry a burp cloth, nursing cloth and extra set of clothes for the little one.
- Breast pump and feeding bottles: If you are using a breast pump, make sure to carry all the essential parts and also your baby’s feeding bottles.
- Any security toys or blankets: If your baby has a favourite toy or blanket, this can help make feeding time easier. Also, if he/she has a favourite meal time song, make sure to download the same!
- Baby food, water flasks, bottle cleaner, bottle brush: If formula is the go-to food for your baby, remember to carry all the essentials for the same.
Apart from the above, there are some essentials that you must carry while travelling with your newborn. Let’s take a look:
- Baby clothes: Take plenty of extra baby clothes (including socks and booties) and choose weather-appropriate clothes for your little one.
- Hat/sunscreen/lotion: While travelling, it’s best to carry your preferred brands of baby’s skincare essentials and not depend on the local available products.
- Baby’s medications: If your paediatrician has advised any prescription medications like those for colic or cold, make sure to carry these too!
- Blankets and sleep jackets: It’s better to be over prepared than miss a few things – so make sure to have plenty of swaddle cloths, blankets and sleep jackets for your little one.
- Baby’s other essentials: You may be using a baby-safe laundry soap or a certain baby cleanser for your baby’s bath time – it’s a good idea to carry these along.
Apart from these, do remember to carry all the essential papers like your baby’s identity documents, prescriptions and immunisation records. This will ensure that you are always well prepared for any kind of need and if there’s any requirement of seeing a doctor, your baby’s records can help bring the doctor up to date. While it may seem like a lot, when you have everything organised, travelling with your newborn can be easier than it seems. So keep this checklist and enjoy travelling with your newborn. Safe and happy travels!
One Reply to “Travel Checklist for Newborn Babies”
Write your comment here …