Gestational diabetes is a form of diabetes that essentially affects pregnant women. You see, during the time a woman is pregnant, your body ends up using the insulin in your body in a different way than it normally would.
During the time a woman is pregnant, she becomes more and more resistant to insulin in order to help provide glucose to her baby. However, in some pregnant women, this process might just go wrong, resulting in the collection of glucose in their blood.
There are however a few foods in particular that women can indulge in during this time as well.
Things to eat:
- A healthy and balanced diet should be a woman’s calling during gestational diabetes
- A diet with proteins and a balance between carbs and fats should help
- An excess of carbs can lead to an easy spike in blood sugar levels.
- Limiting the intake of processed foods in the way to go.
Snacks to include:
- Fresh vegetables or even frozen vegetables
- Steamed veggies are the best bet
- Eggs, especially egg whites are brilliant options for a great and healthy breakfast
- Fresh Fruit
- Greek yoghurt (unsweetened)
- Grilled or baked fish
- Vegetable soup
- Smoothies (one can easily find recipes online)
Fruits can be a tricky subject when it comes to diabetes, but knowing which fruit to consume and how much of it to consume is of the utmost importance.
Things to avoid:
- Fast food or packaged food
- Try to avoid baked foods like cakes or doughnuts
- Fried foods should be a strict no-no for women suffering from gestational diabetes
- Sugary or aerated drinks should also be avoided
- Starchy food should also be avoided like white rice and potatoes
Gestational diabetes is not that big an issue when it comes to dealing with it. With the right diet and activity, one can easily keep it under control and have a healthy and safe pregnancy at the same time without any complications.