As you all know that winter is going away and the season of summer is making a knock at the door. Summer season is all about long, sunny days accompanied with lots of outdoor activities and the amazing family vacations as well.
But as a mother, you need to be extra careful when it comes to your baby’s sensitive skin. As with warm weather exposure there comes risks to your baby’s tender skin, including the sun’s harmful rays and biting insects.
So here I am penning down some few summer skin care tips that will help you protect your little munchkins for harsh summer heat.
- Keeping Baby Hydrated: Make sure to keep your baby hydrated. If your toddler has started eating solids, then a couple of feeds accompanied by boiled food is ideal. Make sure to keep powdered milk as regular stuff goes bad quickly in the heat.
- Avoid Direct Sunlight, Choose Sun screen: Make sure to keep the little kid out of the direct sunlight. When the newborn has completed his 6 month mark sunscreens can also be applied. While making the choice, one should consider a broad spectrum sunscreen which protects against UVA & UVB rays. Make sure to avoid sunscreens that contain benzophenones, oxybenzone, parabens and those that are tinted or scented. Choose sunscreens which contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide with and sun protection factor (SPF) of 30.
- Keeping Baby Cool: The problem of heat rashes is quite common in kids during summers. So to keep your little one cool, you can add two spoons of sandalwood powder in their bath water and apply talcum powder to the affected area.
- Dressing Kids In Summers: During summers, it’s good to dress up your little one in light weight cotton clothing. Choose dark hues of red, blue or green as these color clothes do not absorb sunlight. Let your child wear a broad brimmed hat and sunglasses to help protect the eyes and the sensitive area that surrounds the eyes. Switch diapers from time to time and make the kids wear loose clothes, if they are uncomfortable.
- Protecting Kid From Common Illness: Until 6 months, toddler relies on mother’s immunity as he is being breastfed. Once this ends, you can take care to make sure their immune system grows strong enough. So, focus should be given on a balanced diet for a healthy protection system and ensure they are well-hydrated. Do not let the kids sweat too much or leave them damp for too long as it could affect them adversely. You can consult your doctors for the immunity-boosting food supplements.
- Treating Bugs Bites: Make sure to wash the area with soap and water. After cleaning, apply a cold, wet washcloth to reduce any swelling or pain. Calamine lotion can be used to treat itchy bites.
These tips are sure to help you out during summers, for taking proper care of your baby. If you have some tips then don’t forget to share them in the comment section.