Like each year, Diwali, this year too has brought with it happiness and celebrations! However, like every year, it has also brought with it the pollution and smog that has made breathing too has become a hazard.
For pregnant women especially, this can be a trying time when it comes to their and their baby’s health. So here is a list of recipes and foods that women who are expecting can try to keep pollution at bay!
Including tomatoes in your daily diet can be extremely beneficial when it comes to protecting oneself from the harmful effects of pollution. As tomatoes contain lycopene, which is an antioxidant, it can help one fight against various respiratory illnesses in an effective manner.
There has been a lot of research as far as exploring the benefits of olive oil are concerned. Olive oil, in this aspect too, works wonderfully. Thanks to a special kind of Vitamin E called the alpha-tocopherol present in olive oil, it helps improve lung function apart from protecting one from harmful vascular effects that arise from exposure to the particulate matter present in the air.
Having heard of the wonderful antioxidants present in Green Tea, it can hardly come as a surprise to know that thanks to these very antioxidants, one can counter the effects of pollution quite effectively.
Lung cleansing juice
- The centre of 1 pineapple
- 3 celery stalks (greener the better)
- 2 carrots
- handful of coriander
- 1-inch ginger root, peeled
Use a juicer to extract the juice of the ingredients, or alternatively you can blend all the ingredients in a blender and strain out the juice afterwards.
- Coriander rids the body of heavy metals associated with lung diseases
- Celery contains organic sodium, which also helps eliminate carbon di oxide from your body in an effective manner.
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 piece of ginger, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple (preferably fresh)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth. The smoothie needs to be served immediately.
- The orange and lemons combined, help reduce the production of free radicals in the body, reducing phlegm thus making it easier for you to breathe.
- Pineapple helps reduce swelling and also helps in reducing the intensity of coughs.