Water is essential to life, and babies need it in almost every form. As parents, we always want to give our children the best. A baby is good at digesting the food he eats, so you should be able to provide him with more nutrients and clean, mineral-rich water. This need is best met by alkaline water.
People and health fans are interested in alkaline water. But before you give alkaline water to your baby, you might want to learn about its benefits and possible side effects.
Normal drinking water has a pH of 7, while alkaline water has a pH of 8. It also has more minerals and is cleaner than most water.
In spite of the fact that more studies are required to demonstrate that alkaline water is safe for infants, there have not been any adverse effects discovered as of yet. Before giving alkaline water to your child, you should talk to your doctor to ensure there won’t be any harmful effects. Read on to find out if alkaline water is safe for babies and what it can do for them.
What Is Alkaline Water?
When we talk about alkaline water, we talk about the pH balance in the water. The higher the ratio, the higher the alkalinity component of the water. So, alkaline water is any water with a pH balance of 8 or higher.
What Kind of Water is Best for Your Baby?
Let’s look at each choice:
Do you know why water from the tap has such an unpleasant taste? Well, it may have dangerous elements that are not suitable for a baby’s growth! In addition, the pH of tap water is 6.5, which is too low for a newborn because acidity increases as pH lowers, which is linked to acid reflux as well as many other health issues. When tap water is processed and cleaned, many naturally occurring minerals are eliminated. This lowers the pH of the water. That’s why most people install an RO or water filter at home to purify the water and eliminate these impurities.
How is alkaline water better for your child than filtered tap water?
The pH balance of our bodies is affected by what we eat. The benefits of alkaline water for babies haven’t been proven yet, but they usually help toddlers get more minerals, which meet their needs as they grow. Compared to filtered tap water, babies should drink alkaline water instead.
Companies that sell alkaline water assert that drinking alkaline water has various health advantages; some of these advantages include the ones listed below:
- It lowers the risk of diseases linked to cell death and bone loss. It helps in preventing bone degeneration. It improves bone health.
- It makes you less likely to get kidney problems.
- It makes blood flow better by keeping the pH levels in the body in balance.
- Alkaline water keeps you hydrated better than regular water.
- It also keeps hair and skin from getting dry.
- It helps with heartburn as the higher pH reduces acid reflux.
- It helps to lower blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol.
- It may keep you healthy over a longer period of time.
Alkaline water is better than tap water because it is cleaner, has more minerals, and makes you feel full. Unfiltered tap water can be dangerous because it may contain harmful elements. No parent would risk giving this to their child. On the other hand, alkaline water is clean and full of minerals, which your child needs.
Alkaline water makes it less likely for toddlers to have acid reflux. Regular, moderate consumption of alkaline water has been shown to reduce free radicals in the body, keep the body better hydrated, boost the immune system, and, most importantly, keep the body’s pH levels in balance.
Some minerals are taken out during the cleaning and filtering processes that tap water goes through. All these minerals stay in alkaline water, which is clean and good for your baby’s health.
What minerals does alkaline water contain?
Alkaline water has four essential minerals which make it healthier for consumption.
- Calcium – This is critical for bone health. It is also necessary for smooth functioning of the heart, muscle and nervous system.
- Magnesium – This mineral helps to convert food into energy and is needed for most of the biochemical processes in the body.
- Sodium – This helps to regulate blood pressure and helps in the proper functioning of nerves and muscles.
- Potassium – This is important for well-functioning muscles and also supports healthy digestion.
Is Alkaline Water Safe For Babies? Is it a better option?
We’ve read that alkaline water is good for your health in many ways. It’s still important to know if it’s safe for babies. We should also know if the alkaline water should be mixed with something or given straight. How much should be given, how often should it be given, etc.?
Here are some pointers to keep in mind-
- You should always talk to a doctor before giving alkaline water to babies.
- Never give alkaline water to a baby younger than six months.
- Don’t give a baby alkaline water 30 to 50 minutes before or after a meal. This is important to make sure their stomach works right.
- It’s not a good idea to mix alkaline water with formula milk or any other kind of baby food. Filtered water is better for this purpose.
- Never give alkaline water to a baby who is taking medicine.
- If your baby suffers from stomach acidity, it is prudent to consult the doctor before starting your child on alkaline water.
When it comes to your baby, it’s essential to be careful and not do too much of anything. Everything in moderation is suitable for your baby, even alkaline water, in the short and long term.
The best pH balance for a healthy body is 9, so you should always tell your kid to drink alkaline water. Alkaline water is good for older babies. It will help him/her stay on task at school and improve in the classroom and on the playground.
Mamy Poko Pants is your baby’s constant companion during their growing years. These diapers keep them dry and comfortable for long periods of time.