Our toddlers are our angels. Therefore, inculcating the right habits in them, especially when it comes to eating, goes a long way in shaping the child’s early life. However, despite our best efforts, sometimes we make the wrong choices when trying to form healthy eating habits in our toddlers.
This isn’t because of carelessness. On the contrary, being too careful leads to some of these mistakes. Let’s take a look at 7 common mistakes that parents make while inculcating eating habits in their toddlers.
- Setting a poor example: Our toddlers are always observing, and always absorbing. Even when you might not realize it. For example, when a toddler sees you eat peanut butter jelly sandwich, they subconsciously start wanting one too. So eat right, to inspire right.
- Bribing a toddler’s good behavior with junk food: You might be tempted to say that if you sleep well this afternoon, I will give you a piece of cake later. This might sound like a harmless tactic, but not for a toddler’s developing brain. They will start expecting rewards for any little ‘task’ that they carry out, and will end up developing a taste for junk food at a young age.
- Pressurizing your child: Trying too hard to convince your child by being forceful is a harmful technique of parenting. Encourage your child to see the benefits of eating. Thus, the need for ‘forcing every spoon’ becomes unrequired and your child chooses the right without you getting hassled.
- Introducing new food items: When you try something new for your toddler’s diet, don’t give up on it as soon as they reject it the first time. Don’t force your child but place the meal in front of them every day and explain to them how important it is that they grow up to be strong and healthy.
- Serving lots at once: Serving a little extra over the course of time is a good strategy to build up your toddler’s appetite. However, serving more than your child can handle every single time is not healthy. First of all, your child will start thinking it’s okay to waste food. Secondly, the child may get used to eating more than they require.
- Ready-made juices: Tetra pack juices are a go-to for many parents with toddlers who are looking to make up for a child’s nutrients in their diets. However, these juices do more harm than good. If your toddler does like juice, squeeze some fresh juice for them every week that could last the entire week.
- Too much worrying: Just like we explained in the introduction of this blog, many parenting mistakes with respect to toddlers occur simply due to the parents worrying too much. Take it easy. Do the right things, and develop the right habits for yourselves as parents. They will grow up fine as long as you don’t over-parent.
There you have it, 7 everyday mistakes that parents make while inculcating eating habits in their toddlers. MamyPoko Pants is an expert in baby care, and has all the answers you need regarding raising your toddlers in a healthy and safe way. If you have any more doubts about your toddler, feel free to write to us.